15 minutes of fame


After I graduated from law school I wrote a website, the California Bar Exam Primer.  For a while, it made me fairly well known in legal circles.  Reposting a few incidents that I wrote about years ago:

Recruiting dinner

Me: "Hi, nice to meet you."

Recruit: "Nice to meet you too. I'm ______, a student at Santa Clara Law School."

[50 minute recruiting dinner]

Me: "It was nice to meet you, here's my business card, call me if you have any further questions."

Recruit: "Oh my god, you're the guy with the website? I used your outlines all through law school! Thank you so much!"

Partner: "Oh not that again. Wait, he didn't ask for your autograph? You're losing your touch."

Celebrity Sighting

Tonight's pro bono legal services at the Santa Clara County Family Courthouse went something like this:

Other pro bono lawyer: "Hi, I'm [name]."

Me: "Hi, I'm ____."

Other pro bono lawyer: "As in the California Bar Exam Primer?  The bar website?"

Me: "Yes, that's me."

Other pro bono lawyer (in a very excited voice): "Oh my god! I passed the bar because of you! Your checklists are better than BarBri!"

Me: (pause ... waiting for it)

Other pro bono lawyer (in an even more excited voice): "This is like being in the presence of a celebrity!"

Me: (pause)

Other pro bono lawyer: "Wow."

Me: "So, who is our first client?"

Client: "Hi, I'm John, I'm a former pro footballer player."

A Lawyer Walks Into a Bar

Several years ago I found out that there's a documentary called "A Lawyer Walks Into a Bar".  It played at film festivals and independent theatres. The producers contacted me and told me that my California Bar Exam Primer website was consulted many times during the making of the movie.

Popular posts from this blog

power elite vs pluralist explanation models

big 4 vs. law firm comparison from an industry perspective

california bar exam primer