ham radio

When I was a kid, I got my amateur radio ("ham radio") license: KB8FOU.  Ham radio is a bit archaic now, but before the internet, it was a neat way to talk to people all over the world.  Some people who operate ham radios keep a logbook of the people they talk to.  I was one of those, and here it is:  My logbook.


(preface that I wrote on my website in the early 1990's):  One of my hobbies in the past has been amateur "ham" radio. My callsign is KB8FOU, and I have a general class license. I was originally licensed in 1988 when I lived in Ohio. For many years I operated on HF, which is one way how we talk to people around the world. I have logged over 5,000 worldwide contacts, and collected over 500 QSL cards (postcards which we send to each other to confirm the contact). When I moved to California, I operated mainly on VHF and Packet radio (similar to the internet, but using radio instead of telephone lines). In 1990, I was one of the first hams in the Bay Area to talk to a Space Shuttle astronaut-ham via amateur radio through a program called SAREX.  When I was in high school I spoke at ham radio conventions on the topic of young amateur radio operators. I was a speaker at the 1992 Dayton HamVention, a convention which draws over 30,000 amateur radio operators from all over the world. I also spoke at the 1993 Pacific Division Convention (Pacificon). I have been featured on Newsline, a news service for the amateur radio community, and I was interviewed by Cathrine Heenan on KRON (Channel 4). I also created a column in WorldRadio Magazine called "The Youth Forum." I no longer write the column, but it still exists.  Most of my radio activity has been off the air. I have served as President (1993), Vice President (1991-1992) and on the Board of Directors (1990, 1994) for my local ham club, the West Valley Amateur Radio Association. I have also served as their webmaster. I am a lifetime member of the ARRL.

Popular posts from this blog

power elite vs pluralist explanation models

big 4 vs. law firm comparison from an industry perspective

california bar exam primer