Skyline to the Sea Trail Backpacking Hike
This hike descends from Big Basin Redwoods State Park to the Pacific Ocean at Rancho del Oso (Highway 1 and Waddell Beach), and then returns (up) to Big Basin the next day. The hike offers spectacular vistas, a wide variety of flora and fauna, and an overnight trail camp near the beach.
· 26 horizontal miles
· 1,000 (?) net vertical feet descent / 1,000 (?) net vertical feet ascent
· Approx. 30 hours total trip time (start out Saturday morning, camp overnight Saturday night, return Sunday afternoon), approx. 14 hours of hike time
Dates to be determined, but sometime in August/September/October time frame.
· Day 1: Big Basin Redwoods State Park to Waddell Beach (13.0m / 1230‘ ascent / 6:15 hours)
· Day 2: Waddell Beach to Big Basin Redwoods State Park (13.0m / ?’ ascent / 7:30 hours (est.))
Day 1 (Friday): Big Basin Redwoods State Park to Waddell Beach (13.0m / 1230‘ ascent / 6:15 hours)
· Depart San Jose approx. 9:00 am
· Arrive at Big Basin Redwoods State Park approx. 10:30 am
o Note: Drive to the park is very windy. People who get carsick easily should probably drive themselves to avoid nausea.
· Park cars in secure location [need to make sure overnight parking is permitted]
· Prepare packs
· Register, pay trail camp fees and get trail permit at Big Basin Park Headquarters (Headquarters) during office hours. When Headquarters is closed, use the "Iron Ranger." You will be directed where to park your vehicle.
· Depart trailhead at 11:00 am
· Hike Redwood Trail to Skyline to the Sea Trail to Berry Creek Falls and then to Silver Falls, and then follow Waddell Creek down to Waddell Beach
· Arrive at beach approx. 5:30 pm
· Setup Camp at Horse Camp
o Need to get someone to drive to the campsite and stay overnight. They can bring the tents, sleeping bags, food, fresh water, supplies, etc., and then take it all home the next day. Make sure they can keep the car parked overnight.
o Need to make campground reservations sooner rather than later.
Day 2 (Sunday): Waddell Creek to Big Basin Redwoods State Park (13.0m / ?‘ ascent / 7:30 hours (est.))
· Wake at 6:30 am
· Pack up
· Depart 8:30 am
· Hike Waddell Creek up to Silver Falls, then Skyline to the Seal Trail to Berry Creek Falls, then Redwood Trail to Big Basin Redwoods State Park
· Arrive at Big Basin Park Headquarters
· Drive home
· Use Yosemite Half Dome Hike list. Separate list of stuff for the supply car.
· Use these sites as a guide: http://www.kevingong.com/Hiking/checklist.html and http://felixwong.com/climb/skyline_to_sea0702.html