personal statement from law school


Personal Statement of Travis A. Wise

Last Fall, like many of my classmates, I interviewed with several large firms in the Bay Area during On Campus Interviews.  I didn’t particularly enjoy the experience, because I felt the interviewers lacked personal fulfillment and enjoyment in their jobs.
 
Near the end of OCI’s, I was discouraged that I wouldn’t find a summer position that fit me.  Then I interviewed with Community Legal Services.  I felt the attorneys enjoyed their work, and that is more important to me than the high salaries and fringe benefits.  I volunteered at CLS for several months, and was promoted to a summer law clerk position.  I plan to stay with CLS through my third year of law school, and then apply for NAPIL and Skadden fellowships in order to remain at CLS after I graduate. 
 
At CLS, I work on the Economic Security & Health unit.  I do community outreaches and presentations, help clients resolve their public benefits problems, and represent clients at administrative hearings.   This work fits me very well, because I have always been involved in public service work.  Whether it was volunteering at a soup kitchen in the 8th grade, sorting canned food every week during high school at Second Harvest Food Bank, or more recently, volunteering for the Make-A-Wish Foundation, I understand that serving the public interest is something that I find rewarding, and plan on doing full-time during my career as an attorney.

Popular posts from this blog

power elite vs pluralist explanation models

big 4 vs. law firm comparison from an industry perspective

california bar exam primer