25 things to talk to a psychiatrist about

Remember the "25 Things" meme from Facebook, circa late 2000's?  I called mine "25 Things To Talk To A Psychiatrist About", mostly as a joke.  Here is what I wrote for my 25 things back in the day...

I'm not sure about the wisdom of publicly sharing a list of things that would make a psychiatrist's eyes light up with dollar signs. But I'm an early adopter of almost every social networking phenomenon, so here we go.

25 Random Things About Me.

1. My political party registration is "independent" but most of my political and social values are libertarian, or fiscally conservative / socially liberal democratic-party values. I was a Political Science major in college, which means I wasted 3 years thinking a lot about things that aren't very useful in real life.

2. I have played the recorder, piano, violin, and trumpet. All with tragic results.

3. I am severely colorblind, which complicates nightime driving, coordination of clothes, and my ability to fly an airplane (I tried).

4. I don't believe in God or organized religion, but I enjoy talking with people about religion. I have read the Bible from cover to cover, along with the Book of Mormon and the Teachings of Buddha.

5. I didn't like high school, college was okay, and law school was amazing.

6. When I interviewed at PricewaterhouseCoopers, I admitted that I didn't know what kind of work the company did. They still hired me.

7. TiVo, the BlackBerry, and Facebook are truly amazing inventions.

8. When I was in college and law school, I often read one mystery novel a week. Then I spent a summer reading Gone With The Wind, and that ended my enjoyment of reading.

9. Selfish people who do not take responsibility for their actions should be banished from our island.

10. Most politicians and religious leaders are hypocrites. The more fervent they are, the more hypocritical they will turn out to be.

11. I often need to see your lips to hear what you are saying.

12. Peanut butter goes well with many things, including oatmeal.

13. I lecture at law schools about how to prepare for and pass the bar exam. The bar exam became something of a hobby (obsession?) of mine after I passed.

14. I am horrible at math, and didn't get beyond Algebra in school (and even that was a struggle). In college I took "History of Math" to satisfy the math requirement. But I work with really big dollar amounts for a living.

15. When I was in college, my best friend's mom told me I had picked the wrong major (psychology), and that I'd make a better lawyer than psychologist. The rest was history.

16. My vision used to be so bad, I wore bifocals in the 2nd grade.

17. My first job was working in a mental hospital. That was followed by a one-hour photo store, then a law firm, then non-profit legal aid, then PricewaterhouseCoopers. I did a two year "rotation" away from PwC, but I came back.

18. My dad used to work for PwC (actually, PW).

19. My mother taught me how to read using a reward system, through which I would accumulate points for each book I read, which were then redeemable for toys. Thanks to that early imprint, most of the goals that I set as an adult are based on tallying things. Thanks, mom.

20. I have OCD. I check locks, and habitually organize things. When I'm sitting at a messy desk, I have to force myself not to organize it.

21. I love home improvement shows and projects. Especially electrical and gardening projects. I'm not so good with plumbing though (leaks!).

22. I've flown on an airplane on which someone died. I was also on an airplane that had to make an emergency landing when the flaps stopped working (the plane landed at twice its normal landing speed).

23. The best part of my job is that I get to spend the majority of my waking hours with really cool people. It's something I'm very thankful for.

24. I've seen the Space Shuttle launch in-person, and I've talked to astronauts while they were in space.

25. I hate ironing.

Popular posts from this blog

power elite vs pluralist explanation models

big 4 vs. law firm comparison from an industry perspective

california bar exam primer